Thursday, April 14, 2011

Be Prepared...

It's not just for the Boy Scout anymore.

It should be every runner's motto. We all have busy lives, and finding time to train for a marathon can be a challenge. The easy part for me is meeting with my team on Saturday mornings for our long training sessions. Outside of that, I have a job, a family, and other stuff to do during the week, so I'm always looking for times to squeeze in an extra run or two.

Yesterday, I had to take my daughter to the dentist. Then I had to drop her back off at school for a Girl Scout meeting. Wait!  That gives me almost 2 hours before I pick the kids up...time for a run!  Doh...where are my running clothes?  I was wearing my new running shoes that day, trying to break them in. I found an old t-shirt and hat in my truck, I could roll down my long white socks, but what about shorts!  The nearest store was a Burlington Coat Factory.

I ran in, grabbed a pair of $8 workout shorts (more like boxing shorts, than running shorts) off the rack and was on my way to Mission Bay. I headed out from the "runner's bathrooms" - the place with the rack of  running event flyers. I wasn't on the Blackwell best-dressed list for runners, but I was able to run 6-miles. Next time- I'll be carrying emergency running clothes with me, so I will be prepared!

No comments:

Post a Comment